Monday, January 14, 2008

FRIDAY:


I’m doing good! I’m feeling quite focused and motivated to work and I’ve managed to keep my resolutions so far (but that’s because I’ve still got 10 days to go before the third Monday of the month where everything is going to go collectively pear shaped all over the nation).

Either way, it’s eas(ier) to beat depression when people around you keep coming up with fun ideas for stuff to do and invitations to parties left, right and centre. It’s weird, it almost doesn’t feel like January at all! I think the best way to get around the winter blues is to keep busy. Ridiculously busy if necessary. But still, there’s one thing that simply can’t be ignored…the weather!

Let’s see, hmm…how to express myself…


Ah, I know:

IT %&/#”¤”# ING SUCKS!!!

Yesterday was absolutely pathetic! I mean, you should get extra brownie points if you’re keeping your resolution about jogging/walking when it’s raining like crazy! But I thought “hey, all the happy endorphins you get from exercising should balance out the aggression you feel from getting wet, right?”

Turns out they don’t.

First of all, it’s virtually impossible jogging with an umbrella. Or well, it’s possible, but you end up looking like a retard. So (again) I aimed for a brisk walk instead. But I might as well have jogged because about 8 minutes into the trauma my umbrella broke down. And it was as if destiny had decided that, no, that wasn’t enough, so some sort of sudden storm made it get caught up in my hair! It looked completely CRAZY! It looked as if I was being attacked by an invisible man with a giant and very weird hat! (Don’t worry, I kicked his ass!) And after that the only sensible option was to bin the umbrella.

That suddenly reminded me of a conversation I’d had with a police officer a while back. Again it was raining and my (the same) umbrella just wasn’t doing the job very well. (I’ve got several other umbrellas…GOOD umbrellas, but the reason I’ve kept using this one is that it’s absolutely TINY and so easy to carry around in your handbag.) One thing led to another and I ended up enquiring whether he reckoned it would be reasonable for me to through it in the Thames. It seemed as if it was something that had occur relatively frequently, because he started explaining that they don’t tend to sink properly and instead float around all over the place. Therefore he meant that according to his personal opinion “the solution wasn’t ideal.”

Hmm… Ideal, huh? Float?

-”So, if I was to throw my mobile phone into river after I’ve bought my new one, that would be ok? It definitely won’t float, I’ll vouch for that. It would be such a relief! Sort of a spiritually cleansing ritual.”
-“Yeah, um..nah, it would be better, yes. But there are other ways to reduce stress. I’ve heard of something called aroma therapy that apparently is…”
-“…a really great idea! Yes. But I feel that we’ve reached something of an understanding here now?”
-“Yes, I guess that we ha..err…hang on!”



Well, I interpreted it as if he promised to defend me to other potential officers that might have woken up on the wrong side of the bed and try to fine me (!) if (when) they catch me in the act! I felt nice and safe.

And yesterday, walking around with my, by that time, ridiculously broken umbrella, I have to admit I cursed the fact that wasn’t anywhere near the Thames.


(Oh, I KNOW it’s naughty to litter! But come on, it ended up in the bin after all, so all happy bunnies…)

No comments: