Thursday, July 10, 2008

In Sweden there’s a supermarket chain called ICA. It’s similar to Tesco. Sort of.


I’ve always felt a bit sorry for people working at the tills in supermarkets cos it must be so incredibly tedious and boring, but at least the guys doing so in Sweden have found a way to amuse themselves, probably to make work go a little faster.

Either that or they are incredibly DUMB.

Those are the only two alternatives that could possibly make out a logical explanation.

Basically, you have to be above the age of 18 to buy cigarettes and low alcohol beer (up to 3,5%) and above 21 for the strong stuff. And the stores are entitled to ask you for ID to make sure they’re not selling these things to minors.

Yeah, fine, ok.

But now there have been multiple complaints from seriously pissed off people all over the country!

For example, one man, 77 years of age hadn’t been allowed to buy two bottles of beer for a dinner party he was going to.

-“I felt it was a bit embarrassing and disrespectful having a 17 year old demanding that I prove my age to him”, he explained. “He told me that was the only way he could be completely sure that I was over 18…”.

The guy in question had replied to the paper:

-“I was simply doing my job. I just wasn’t 100% sure about this particular person…he looked really young for his age!”

Another man, I think his name was Björn, who was 58, wasn’t allowed to buy cigarettes. Had he brought his ID? No, no he had not. So off he was forced to go…

There was a picture of a bald, chubby man with a grizzled beard and a slightly angry face.

-“Does this look like a face that was born yesterday?!!?!”
He was not a satisfied costumer.

Then there was a woman, 63, who had wanted to get a scratch card. You have to be 18 to play. You can guess what had happened…

When I was in Stockholm with Joanna in September I had to show my passport to buy a few cans of beer. But I wasn’t complaining. Hey, if that woman thought I looked like I was 20 years old, who the hell am I to complain!!! :-D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the correct age for buying strong stuff in Sweden is 20 years or older. 21 is the age I thought was valid for UK?!

:)

Evelyn said...

HI ANONYMOUS!

Really? I thought it was 21 at Systembolaget? But no, it isn't 21 here in the UK..it is in the US though, if that's what you meant. Here it is more something like..mm.15??!

:)

Well ok, so that means the lady at the till thought I was 19 instead of 20! Even better!

:D